Tiger Woods announced on Wednesday that he hopes to make his comeback to competitive golf with a handful of tournaments beginning on October. While we’re happy to hear Tiger is at least closer to making his way back to golf, it got us to thinking – since his last competitive round at the 2015 Wyndham Championship on Aug. 23, a lot has happened at Pinehurst in that span between starts.
6. Room Renovations at The Carolina Hotel – This year, all 168 guest rooms in the Carolina Hotel’s main tower have received enhancements. The upgrades will enhance the guest experience by providing a modern look without losing the hotel’s timeless feel.
5. Pinehurst No. 5’s New Greens – The greens at Pinehurst No. 5 have been converted to champion ultra-dwarf Bermuda grass, a move that will extend peak conditions throughout the year.
Six of the resort’s nine courses now have the heat-tolerant Bermuda grass installed. No. 1 successfully converted to Bermuda in 2012. Pinehurst Nos. 3 and 8 followed in 2013 and famed Pinehurst No. 2 underwent the conversion following the back-to-back U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open in 2014.
4. History Hall has more…History – This year, we’ve taken a few minor steps in what we hope will be an improved experience with the vintage photos in the hallway of Pinehurst’s main clubhouse. With the help of the wonderful Tufts Archives, we’ve restored many of the photos, which had been damaged over time.
Also, we’ve updated the framing and matting, and in what may be our favorite part, added contextual captions with each photo. Most of these captions go into further detail about every photo – you already know the where; here, we add the who, the what and the why.
3. Paul Simson Makes History, Then Makes it Again – Since Woods teed it up to start the 2015 Wyndham, amateur golf legend Paul Simson has won two more North & South championships – each of the last two Senior Men’s North & South Amateurs. His 2016 victory in August gave him eight total North & South wins, making Simson the most decorated golfer in Pinehurst tournament history.
2. Kelly Mitchum Does It Again – Kelly Mitchum, the 1993 North & South Amateur champion and one of the leading instructors at the Pinehurst Golf Academy, continues to make viral waves with his original 3-putt.
But in January, Mitchum may have outdone himself with his sequel – another 3-putt that boggles the golfer’s mind.
1. The Deuce Opens – For decades, golfers and guests have gathered on the veranda overlooking the 18th green of famed Pinehurst No. 2. Now, they are able to do so in The Deuce, Pinehurst Resort and Country Club’s new bar and restaurant. And after just a week, the reviews are rolling in:
— GOLF.com (@golf_com) September 7, 2016
Pinehurst’s new ‘Deuce’ tavern overlooking 18th hole at No. 2 opens this week.Instantly one of the best spots in golf for a beer and more.
— RonGreenJr (@RonGreenJr) August 30, 2016
— LINKS Magazine (@LINKSMagazine) September 6, 2016