If not Pinehurst, where else might the Putter Boy want to spend a part of his centennial year?
St. Andrews, of course.
Legendary golf course designer Donald Ross had his roots at St. Andrews, serving as an apprentice to 4-time Open Championship winner “Old” Tom Morris before coming to the United States at the turn of the 20th century. The Ross legend across the country speaks for itself, but his indelible mark has been placed forever on Pinehurst, home to his famed Pinehurst No. 2.
Lucy Richards designed the Putter Boy statue in 1912, getting help from Ross. Known then as the “Golf Lad,” the statue was used for a sundial (hence the long club, which was needed for accurate sundial readings), leading to a “Sundial Boy” nickname. Eventually in the 1970s, the “Putter Boy” name caught on.
The Putter Boy has stood as Pinehurst’s undeniable symbol since his inception.
Yet it only seems right that he spend a few days in his home away from home, whether it be at St. Andrews’ Swilcan Bridge or taking a moment to pay homage at “Old” Tom Morris’ resting place.