June 24 — July 1, 2023
123rd North & South Men’s Championship
Entries are open to male amateur golfers who have a handicap index of 5.0 or less. All applicants must conform to the USGA Rules of Amateur Status and meet the requirements of the USGA Gender Policy.
The 120-player field will compete over two days on both Pinehurst No. 2 and Pinehurst No. 4. The field will be cut to a 32-player match play bracket and medalist honors. All match play rounds will be contested on Pinehurst No. 2.
All applications, including invitees, must be received by the Tournament Office staff by the entry deadline of 5:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time on May 17th. ABSOLUTELY NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED. Time limit for entries means time of receipt at the Pinehurst Tournament Office (not time entry is transmitted to Pinehurst.) Entries should be submitted early to allow ample time for delay or error in transmission. The risk of delay or error in transmission lies solely with the entrant and Pinehurst will have no liability with respect to any such delay or error and the consequences therefrom, including rejection of the entry. Applicants will fall into one of two categories: Championship Exempt or Championship Non-Exempt. The Championship field will be finalized by May 19th at the latest. All applicants will be informed of their status via email.
Entry Fee: $350 (Payment information will be collected upon acceptance following the deadline). Withdrawals after entries close up to and including June 21st will be issued a refund minus a $30 processing fee. Withdrawals after June 22nd will not receive a refund except in cases of extenuating circumstances, which will be handled on a case-by-case basis. All refunds are at the discretion of the Championship Committee.
Invitations (Championship Exempt) *see below for more details
- Players meeting our exemption criteria will be invited to compete.
- Players meeting exemption criteria will be accepted upon receipt of official application.
- Players meeting these criteria will be guaranteed acceptance unless more than 120 exempt players accept invitations to compete. If this occurs, players will be granted entry into the Championship based on their highest level of exemption status. (M1 precedes M2 so on and so forth).
Applications (Championship Non-Exempt)
- Players not meeting exemption criteria may formally apply via application.
- Players are encouraged to attach a playing resume along with their application. The resume along with various rankings will be used to determine the remaining players that are accepted.
- All decisions are at the discretion of the tournament committee and all decisions are final.
At Close of Entries
- Invitations and applications are received, and processed. The field is determined based off of the number of exempt players and selecting the best non-exempt players to complete the 120 player field.
- Any applicant who does not make the initial 120 players will have the opportunity to compete in an 18-hole qualifier. The number of available tournament spots will vary based on WD’s from the championship field. If the total number of applications does not warrant a qualifier, all remaining players will be placed on a waitlist.
Championship registration will take place on June 25th, and June 26th, from 10:00 AM-4:00 PM. Registration will be located at the Main Clubhouse. Each contestant MUST register in person. Please make every attempt to register prior to playing practice rounds. **Failure to register without notification to the Tournament Office may result in the player forfeiting their spot in the event.**
Practice Rounds/Range Usage
The official practice rounds are June 25th, and June 26th. Players will have the option to play both No. 2 and No. 4. Details on practice rounds will be available following the application deadline.
Private housing is an option available to contestants to help reduce total tournament costs. While private housing is not guaranteed, we do our best to accommodate all players who submit their Private Housing Request form by June 2nd. Priority will be given to exempt/invited contestants. Following acceptance to the tournament, players will be matched up with host families based on the information provided on the form.
All private housing inquiries and communications should be sent to [email protected]
The player’s dinner is June 26th, at 6:30 PM in the Outlook room of the Pinehurst Country Club. ALL PLAYERS ARE EXPECTED TO ATTEND. Golf attire is appropriate. Host families are invited to attend.
Carts are available for practice rounds ONLY, otherwise players may carry their own bag, bring a caddie, or hire a Pinehurst Caddie. Pull or push carts are permitted. The club will not provide them. You must provide your own.
Those caddies not employed by Caddie Master Enterprises must register with the Caddie Master. There will be a $80 uniform deposit for caddies not employed by Caddie Master Enterprises. To make arrangements for a Pinehurst caddie please contact the Caddie Master (phone 910-235-8149 or [email protected]) at least one week in advance. Bags fees are $75 per round plus gratuity ($50+ recommended depending on services.) Pinehurst caddies will be assigned based on availability.
The Pinehurst Tournament Office and Championship Committee reserves the right to alter any of the conditions, provisions, and/or schedules herein. The decision of the Pinehurst Tournament Office and Championship Committee in any matter will be final.
The Pinehurst Tournament Office may reject an entry application, revoke an accepted application, expel from the Championship and/or suspend a player from future championships if the player engages in conduct detrimental to the integrity and image of the game of golf. Such conduct may include, but is not limited to, damage to the golf course or the player’s equipment, verbal or physical abuse of spectators, officials, volunteers, or staff, blatant or excessive profanity, disorderly behavior, failure to abide by the rules, or any other unbecoming conduct.
Players in the following categories will be eligible for exemption into the 2023 Championship only. The Pinehurst Tournament office and Championship Committee reserves the right to revise any of the exemption categories. Exempt players who wish to participate in the Championship must file and return their invitation or an official entry.
North & South Men’s Championship Schedule
North & South Men's Amateur
Championship Venue & Courses
For over 115 years the North & South Amateur has been contested on the hallowed grounds of Pinehurst. Many of the game’s greatest icons have won at Pinehurst Resort, and in 2014, just one week after Martin Kaymer’s historic victory in the U.S. Open, Michelle Wie captured her first major championship after winning the U.S. Women’s Open on Pinehurst No. 2.
2022 Championship Recap
- CHAMPIONSHIP RECAP: In a thrilling duel, Luke Clanton edges Tommy Morrison to win North & South Amateur
- SEMIFINAL RECAP: North & South Amateur Championship between Clanton, Morrison sure to be a spirited one
- RECAP: Play suspended for thunderstorms following eventful Round of 16
- ROUND OF 32 RECAP: Ford twins mix – and match – while Vilips also advances at North & South
- ROUND 2 RECAP: Karl Vilips takes medalist while Jackson Koivun makes Pinehurst history
- ROUND 1 RECAP: Bai, Siebers lead wild North & South Am while Andrew O’Leary enjoys his “absurd” day
- 122nd Men’s North & South Amateur – The Contenders
North and South Stories I Chad Wilfong
Chad Wilfong will be the oldest player in the North and South Men’s Amateur field when he tees it up this summer. Following a win at the U.S Amateur Four Ball last month, he is aiming to improve on his semi-final finish at last year’s North and South.
Chad played the Nationwide Tour (now known as the Korn Ferry Tour) before settling down with his wife in Charlotte, NC. With his amateur status regained, he is now playing competitive amateur golf and balancing that with a full-time job as well as two kids.